I don’t know why, but everyone (myself included) seem to find ‘What’s in my handbag’ posts and vlogs so interesting…but they just are – aren’t they?
There is something quite secret and intimate about a handbag and that little look into something you wouldn’t normally see can tell you so much about a person!!
Anyway, it’s very rare these days that I get to use an actual handbag so it seemed a little more fitting to do a ‘Whats in my Changing Bag?’ post instead.
When I was pregnant with Mila 4 years ago I knew that all parents carried around a changing bag, but what did they really contain? Of course I assumed nappies and some wipes, but changing bags always seemed so huge and full – what else would you possibly need???
Well, it turns out that this has to be your bag of tricks – you need to have everything your baby/toddler could possibly need and cover every eventuality too. It took me a while to get the hang of this, luckily most of my friends had babies around the same time and between us we always managed to have the essentials.
So, today I thought I’d share some of my changing bag ‘must haves’ with a 16 month old and a 3 year old, just to share some tips as I’m sure we all do things slightly differently.
I’ve had a few changing bags but feel I’ve finally found what works for me, a big back pack!!! With two hands to hold now the last thing I need is to be worrying about holding a bag and this has really worked for me. It helps that backpacks have become on trend again recently which means I can feel a little bit stylish while it also being incredible practical.
If you’re baby wearing this can also be perfect as it’s almost impossible to carry a bag at the same time and the bag being on your back balances the weight nicely eliminating back pain.
A few essentials I currently have in my bag:
• Nappies – Nirvana is currently in pull-ups and I usually pack around 5 for a whole day out
• Wipes – we like the pampers fresh ones the best! Waitrose also do some called bottom butter wipes which smell like vanilla and are lovely!
• Nappy Sacks – essential incase you can’t find a bin!
• Plastic bag – for dirty/wet clothes, of course you can use nappy sacks for this but I like to have a bigger one to hand
• Warm Hat & Sun Hat – you never know what the weather is going to do so I’ve always got both types of hat with me
• Baby Sunscreen – again, you never know what the weather is going to do
• Change of clothes – including socks and pants – especially when potty training!!
• Comforter – I try not to take out Nirvana’s bed time comforter because if we lost it I don’t think we’d ever sleep again!! She’s not as in love with the spare but it does help with long days out or car trips etc
• Spare dummies
• Tommee Tippee anti bacterial wipes – these are perfect for when dummies get dropped on the floor in a place you’d rather not ‘suck it’ clean – simply wipe over and they kill 99.9% of germs and the dummies can be popped straight back in their mouths!
• Blanket – just because you never know what the weather is going to do or if you need to put it down somewhere to sit on etc
• Red books – Mostly because I usually forget these at doctor or hospital visits so if it’s in the changing bag I won’t forget!
• Travel sized first aid kit – with plasters, antibac wipes, burn gel, calpol etc!
• Snacks and bottles of juice/water – Oat bars, bananas, raisins…and for emergencies (aka 5 mins peace in a coffee shop) little packs of milky buttons!
I hope you’ve found this helpful! Let me know what some of your essentials are over on my latest IG post HERE